-->

Friday, December 22, 2023

Christmas Cheer - Part 12 and Out

For the past few weeks we've been posting just a bit of background on each of the 37 tracks on my 19th and most recent holiday holiday mix, Christmas Cheer. Today, with two shopping days left to go before December 25, I'm proud to share some information about the final three tracks on the mix. I believe this is the earliest we've ever completed this task, and because we started early we were able to proceed at a pleasant and leisurely pace with nobody getting upsot. There's a lesson in the somewhere, though I'm darned if I can figure out just what it is!

Track 35
Yonder, The Sisterhood (1974)

Track 35 is the last of the song-poems on this year’s mix, and while it appeared on an M.S.R. Records album titled "Christmas Album," the lyrics don't seem to have anything to do with December 25. Frankly, it’s not immediately apparent just what they are about:

 

Yonder with a village view sits a village queen

And around all reading through planted with all colors of green

A little boy far traveled,

Might also care to travel back

With a seaboard, crates and masts

He is educational, years of more track

 

Towards yonder, where all work is done

With harvest enduring years

And more of distribution begins where all reading is shown by far and nears

 

[Repeat both stanzas]

 

Where all reading is shown by far and nears

Far and nears

 

The song is credited to The Sisterhood, a group of several female singers who worked for the M.S.R. label. The lyrics are by a fellow named Thomas Jackson Guygax, Sr., a Springfield, Missouri resident who wrote at least ten sets of lyrics that were ultimately set to music and released by M.S.R.

To say Guygax had an unusual style would be an understatement. Many of his efforts read like a jumble of random words that tumbled out of a high-speed blender in no particular order  and yet . . .  there’s a certain weight, even majesty, to some of them.

The Sisterhood
Song-poem enthusiast Phil Milstein has speculated that English may not have been Guygax’s first language, which would certainly explain the jumbled syntax. Or maybe he just wrote to the beat of a different drummer.

In any case, I’ve grown rather fond of “Yonder” over the many years since I first heard it. I guess I never really paid too much attention to the lyrics, however, for it was only recently that I figured out that this isn't a Christmas song at all. All M.S.R. had to do is include the tune on one of its several holiday releases and that was apparently all I needed to park it in an honored spot on this year's mix.

Before we bid adieu to M. Guygax, allow me to share another set of lyrics from one of his ten M.S.R. releases:

Thomas J. Guygax

 

A POET

(Thomas J. Guygax, Sr.)

as recorded by Dick Charles

 

A poet once sat among his papers

Letters from here and far across the sea

He scribbl'd with his pencil a moment

Saying, "My! what's happen'd to me?"

"Should I wrote poetry or prose?

Heaven only knows!

I wish I had something to write about

Then I wouldn't have to sit here and pout

So let's call Jerry and dance about."

 I think that pretty much says it all, n’est-ce-pas?



Track 36
Happy Holidays, Robbie Robertson (2019)

I surprised myself by finishing this year’s mix in early September, roughly three months ahead of my typical schedule. The way I have to assemble these things today makes it very difficult to make any changes to the mix once it's complete, so I really figured it was done until the first weekend in November when I happened upon this song on YouTube. I knew instantly that I had to include it, so I removed what had been the penultimate track (“The True Meaning Christmas,” by Ambulances) and stuck this one in its place.

Robbie Robertson has long been one of my favorite artists, and news of his death this past August cast a long shadow over 2023 for me — a year that started off on a sour note with the January 18 death of another of my all-time favorites, the legendary David Crosby. I used to try to include tracks by those artists I really liked who’d passed each year but discontinued the practice because the lists of departing celebrities were beginning to get too long. But I certainly wanted to honor Robertson and this is a terrific and appropriate track to do it with.

Recorded during the sessions for his last solo album, Sinematic (2019), “Happy Holidays” is Robertson’s playful attempt at pointing out the yin and yang of the modern holiday season.

“We love Christmas and the holidays,” Robertson said in statement quoted in Rolling Stone. “[They] brings good cheer, and also stress and depression, so I wanted to do a song that celebrates both sides and have a little fun.” This is evident from the very first verse:

Please don’t leave Old Saint Nick

Too much milk and cookies

’Cause by the time he gets round to us

He won’t be able to get

His fat ass down the chimney.

Proceeds from the song were donated to the American Indian College Fund. Robertson himself had indigenous roots, as his mother was part Cayuga and part Mohawk, and two of his six outstanding solo albums focus on Native American themes.

This is the second holiday song of Robertson’s I’ve used. My 2012 mix Gee Whiz . . . It's Christmas (Again!) included The Band’s song “Christmas Must Be Tonight,” which Robertson wrote for their 1977 album Islands.

I was familiar with Robertson’s work as a member of The Band but became a really big fan with the release of his first self-titled solo album in 1987. I loved the video for the first single off the album, “Somewhere Down the Crazy River,” which was directed by Martin Scorsese. I was also wowed by Robertson’s appearance on Saturday Night Live around that same time, which featured the rock song “Testimony” that he recorded with U2.

Over the next 35 years, Robertson released a string of outstanding albums, including Storyville (1991), Contact from the Underworld of Redboy (1998), How to Become Clairvoyant (2011) and Sinematic (2019). In 1994 he collaborated with the Red Road Ensemble on a collection of stunningly beautiful songs written to accompany a TBS documentary, later released as an album called Music for the Native Americans,

He also worked closely with Martin Scorsese, scoring a series of the famed director’s biggest films. Shortly before his death, Robertson completed the score to Scorsese’s latest release, Killers of the Flower Moon.

Robertson was one of a kind, and he’ll be sorely missed.





Track 37
One Tin Soldier, Cher (1972)

This year's mix goes out pretty much the same way it came in, with an excerpt from the Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour. This track features Cher singing her version of the 1969 song "One Tin Soldier," written by Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter and originally recorded by the Canadian pop group The Original Caste. It was later recorded by the group Coven for the 1971 Warner Brothers film "Billy Jack." Cher's version begins with her singing an excerpt from the classic carol "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear," followed by Cher singing Coven's version of the song over a video created by animator John David Wilson:



I remember loving this song as a child, although I recall it took me a few listens to understand its principal message. It's profoundly sad to think that 50 years later we're no closer to world peace than when the song was first released.

Well, that's it, folks. I hope you've enjoyed many of these tracks and that you have a most enjoyable holiday with family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment